Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63,728 Posts
2racez said:
what about processor? would you recommend upgrading?
nah, for your basic needs the standard specs are enough imo

the only thing that really matters in your case is the size of the hard drive

·
Banned
46,655 Posts
Why would you want a Pro without a Retina display? Why would you want any non-high resolution device? This isn't 2010 anymore.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MegaFdub said:
Why would you want a Pro without a Retina display? Why would you want any non-high resolution device? This isn't 2010 anymore.
from what I've been told (and researched) the non retina Mac is still in demand due to its ability to be upgraded at a cheaper cost and unlike many new models still has all ports.

No tech guy just what I've heard

·
Banned
46,655 Posts
2racez said:
from what I've been told (and researched) the non retina Mac is still in demand due to its ability to be upgraded at a cheaper cost and unlike many new models still has all ports.

No tech guy just what I've heard
You don't need the drive, unless you were running vms or doing extensive video editing you will almost never need more than 8GBs of ram, and external storage costs pennies. What are you going to use a Thunderbolt port for?

For light to slightly below heavy use what you get will be sufficient. Although I don't really do much work on my laptop since we're required to work in labs, I'm totally fine with mine(mid range, mid 2014 13" Pro). I can use everything from Cad to PS to running Windows in a VM for a math class I had(got rid of the partition I had for Windows for space).

But yeah if you need space just buy a external drive, or use cloud storage. I actually just bought a few enclosures and dropped old hard drives I had into them. The display and portability alone are reasons to go with the Retina models.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MegaFdub said:
You don't need the drive, unless you were running vms or doing extensive video editing you will almost never need more than 8GBs of ram, and external storage costs pennies. What are you going to use a Thunderbolt port for?

For light to slightly below heavy use what you get will be sufficient. Although I don't really do much work on my laptop since we're required to work in labs, I'm totally fine with mine(mid range, mid 2014 13" Pro). I can use everything from Cad to PS to running Windows in a VM for a math class I had(got rid of the partition I had for Windows for space).

But yeah if you need space just buy a external drive, or use cloud storage. I actually just bought a few enclosures and dropped old hard drives I had into them. The display and portability alone are reasons to go with the Retina models.
thanks for the detailed response! I'm leaning towards 13in pro w/retina atm but wanna make sure I'm not missing any info on the Air

·
Banned
46,655 Posts
2racez said:
thanks for the detailed response! I'm leaning towards 13in pro w/retina atm but wanna make sure I'm not missing any info on the Air
I was tempted to pick up a Air before I bought this, but I was honestly hoping they would update it. The side by side comparison of the two was really what hit the nail in the coffin for me. Another thing I didn't like about the Air was the grey bezel around the screen, and somehow it didn't feel as solid as the Pro did. Those are both subjective though.

If I did change this laptop(and I was thinking about doing so) I would get the Macbook and do whatever heavy work I needed at the university or finally get around to putting together another desktop. I've fallen into that resolution and ultra lightweight trap lol

·
Premium Member
15,819 Posts
Go Pro w/ Retina with the 256.
You'll be fine with the base specs. I do a lot of video editing in Premiere, and Photo editing in LR and PS, and it's fine. I'm on a mid 2014 with 128 and I have one external drives (one just failed) + 200 gb in iCloud storage.
If I could change anything I wouldn't worry about the processor or ram for a second, I would jump to 256 or 512 on the SSD in a heartbeat.
128 gb is like a 16 gb phone. If you're clean on that 16gb phone then you can maybe handle 128 but I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Banned
3,577 Posts
Wait until this years Macbook refresh, it's a terrible time to buy a Mac but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Emu said:
www.microsoft.com/surface
Above all else ignore clowns like these and the "build your own PC's it's cheaper and Mac's are overpriced pieces of junk" weirdos

·
Banned
36,999 Posts
Build your own PC, i's an amazing experience to do things yourself. Also buying hardware parts separately is not only cheaper, those parts all have a warranty, they are higher quality, you choose exactly what you want. Every human with a computer should know the parts that make his or her computer IMO.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
INDICA said:
Wait until this years Macbook refresh, it's a terrible time to buy a Mac but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Above all else ignore clowns like these and the "build your own PC's it's cheaper and Mac's are overpriced pieces of junk" weirdos
but what if the refresh isn't as good as this years model as people have said in years past?

·
Premium Member
36,582 Posts
2racez said:
but what if the refresh isn't as good as this years model as people have said in years past?
then you can still get this years model for cheaper since it'll be older :rejoice:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts