Kanye To The: Kanye West

The David Hammons - Spade -> MAGA theory thread

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

Axyend
Ultralight Stream

TO ALL MEDIA LINKING TO THIS THREAD, THE THEORY AROUND THE HAT HAS EVOLVED
When it comes to David Hammons, I think there's the obvious interpretation that it's about reappropriating the MAGA hat, but I think it's deeper, more in line with what he's actually been saying. His deeper point is about reshaping the idea of what it means to be black in America, more precisely, removing the idea that there is a definition of what it means to be black. He feels that black kids need to be taught from a positive message about their future, rather than a "complete" focus on their past. His performance is to show the importance of education/teaching, on every level, for the beliefs you have about yourself and about the world.

Kanye mentions Obama and Virgil as setting examples of what is possible. When Virgil got the LV job, Tremaine retweeted his announcement of that with the same spade emoji.

Kanye yes-man/collaborator Tremaine Emory, who goes by the twitter handle Denimtear, has actively been hinting at things all week. Here's something important.

He retweeted Kanye's references to the artist David Hammons with the following emoji:

I believe he's referring with that emoji to David Hammons' reappropriation of the racial slur 'spade' in his most prominent early work.

In some, like “Spade (Power for the Spade)” from 1969, he turned racist clichés on their head..

The spade was in fact central to much of his work in the 70s:
Hammons used spades or shovels as a central component in much of his art from the 1970s, including his two-dimensional, three-dimensional, and performance works, in which the gardening tool represents the deprecating term spade, a common racial slur. In doing so, he also represents his own racial identity as a black male who remembers being referred to by this offensive term. By exploring this symbolic allusion in his sculptures, Hammons directly confronts the use of such language, displaying his commitment to racial reform in America and to the civil rights movement

When Kanye posted the MAGA hat on April 25th, DenimTears tweeted 45 minutes later: "The Prestige". People assumed this was referring to Kanye and the hat.

He then tied David Hammons' reappropriation of the spade to Kanye's use of the MAGA hat and the prestige together in his retweet of Kanye's moodboard - alongside the idea of Kanye vs Coyote idea from Beuys (as discussed in other thread)

The idea of acts in a trick, the reappropriation of a racist symbol, an emoji of someone wearing a cowboy hat - MAGA hat?, and one further emoji, a wrestler (referring to Kaufman? - famous for his "inter-gender wrestling" performance art)

Thought this was very cool - and adds an explicit connection between Kanye and the idea of reinterpreting racist symbolism.

Kanye did something similar in 2013 with the confederate flag:

“React how you want. Any energy is good energy. The Confederate flag represented slavery in a way. That’s my abstract take on what I know about it, right? So I wrote the song ‘New Slaves.’ So I took the Confederate flag and made it my flag. It’s my flag now.” - Kanye
And about the MAGA hat has said
"I feel when people think of MAGA they don't think of empathy." "This is year one. We can't ad empathy to MAGA by hating. We can only ad empathy with love and time and truly hearing all sides"
and
"I feel a obligation to show people new ideas
And if you wanna hear 'them, there go two right here
Make America Great Again had a negative perception
I took it, wore it, rocked it, gave it a new direction
Added empathy, care and love and affection
And y'all simply questionin' my methods"
Doesn't mean Kanye isn't genuine with the things he's saying, just that he's trying to get us to look, beyond the label or symbol attached to a person, to hear their views, reasoning, and intent.

"outrageously magical things happen when you mess around with a symbol." - David Hammons

Original Joseph Beuys theory thread by Nosejab
https://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=7734322.0

Andy Kaufman thread of denial 2018
https://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=7746362

deej61

Goat
DIRTY FANTA

KTT actually shedding knowledge today
johnno
my new music on my profile

damn, in again

ktt providing some dope posts lately, complex are watching
Solo.
gimme that enzo

This is really insightful stuff, great post
Banana Lero
Everything you're saying sounds 100 percent like cultural brainwashing

in ♠
bladerunner

Op is actually denimtear?
CNTRL

This is really insightful stuff, great post
Lilith
apex of the world, God-Shattering Star

Goat
Y0rn.

Goat
ANTI. Clemons

:maybe:
mctate
The People's Moderater (still chance the rapper stan)

Op is actually denimtear?
dont think hed call himself a yes man

JayEConsulting
Feeling the Bernz

Kanye yes-man/collaborator(?), who goes by the twitter handle Denimtear has actively hinting at things all week. Here's something important in his "prestige" thing.

Retweeting Kanye's reference to David Hammons:

Here I believe he's referring with that emoji to David Hammons' piece 'Spade (Power for the Spade)'

When Kanye posted the MAGA hat on April 25th, DenimTears tweeted 45 minutes later: "The Prestige". People assumed this was referring to Kanye and the hat.

He then tied David Hammons' reappropriation of the spade to Kanye's use of the MAGA hat and the prestige together in his retweet of Kanye's moodboard - alongside the idea of Kanye vs Coyote idea from Beuys (as discussed in other thread)

Thought this was very cool - and adds an explicit connection between Kanye and the idea of reinterpreting racist symbolism.

How the heck did you know about denim peers? Was he mentioned previously on here? If you stumbled on this man, that's kind of impressive.  I can't keep up with the Donda vatican. :psyboom:

Complex you better credit this man & nosejabs, we see the contributors who researched this if you put this together in a article. :work:
Valued Customer

Op sounding like a source 🤔🤔
mctate

its crazy cause general public will straight not care about this stuff but i love that my favorite artist is such an actual artist in every sense of the word

the coyote piece was the cake this is the icing
Kanye.
West.

who is this though?
mctate

How the heck did you know about denim peers? Was he mentioned previously on here? If you stumbled on this man, that's kind of impressive.  I can't keep up with the Donda vatican. :psyboom:

Complex you better credit this man & nosejabs, we see the contributors who researched this if you put this together in a article. :work:
denim tears has bbeen hanging with kanye almost every day for the past year lol
deej61

damn, in again

ktt providing some dope posts lately, complex are watching

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

Quick Reply
Login with Facebook