Kanye To The: Kanye West

The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon (bye bye Leno)

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 ... 22

Prez

EW.com
It looks like there’s a reason why Jay Leno’s been sounding awfully testy about his bosses lately: A report in the New York Times today says it has promised Jimmy Fallon that he will succeed Jay Leno as the next host of The Tonight Show no later than fall 2014. The plan is to move the show from Burbank, Calif. to New York, where Fallon currently tapes his show. There is also talk of it returning to a 90-minute format. It’s unclear when an announcement will take place, and for now, NBC is only confirming that it is building a brand new set for Fallon. The Tonight Show first began in New York with Steve Allen in 1954. The news comes on the heels of Jimmy Kimmel’s emergence as a key player in the 11:30 p.m. timeslot. Though Leno continues to dominate in viewers and adults 18-49, Kimmel has been a success for ABC in terms of ad sales. ABC is able to attract premium ad dollars because of the younger viewers who have migrated to the show that also touts a strong musical (see: way hipper) element.

Earlier this month, The Hollywood Reporter posted a story that revealed succession plans involving Fallon, but NBC issued a categorical denial. In the meantime, Leno’s mounted a defensive on his show by taking digs at the top brass. On Monday, he compared his bosses to “snakes” while last night, he took a swipe at the ratings. Leno, like his counterparts at ABC and CBS, have long made fun of his superiors but he also has a right to sound and act a little ****y: The last time he was booted out of late night to make way for a younger talent like Conan O’Brien, it turned into a financial and public relations nightmare. It took a little time but, once returned to his throne at 11:30 p.m., Leno was able to bring The Tonight Show back to the winner’s circle where he has remained. Because of Leno’s dominance, there has to be some fear that Fallon may not be able to hold onto that lead if he ever does succeed Leno, a veritable every man who tells jokes that have every man appeal. Longtime Leno fans may not stick around to watch the younger guy, and the poor lead-in that NBC is currently offering isn’t doing The Tonight Show any favors. There is always the chance that a changing of the guard at 11:30 on NBC — and eventually at CBS, where David Letterman, 65, will beg off sooner rather than later — may help Kimmel even more.

For his part, Fallon is remaining humble about whatever change may be in store. In the issue of GQ out March 26, said “who really cares” about whether he’s the heir apparent. “In the nicest way. It would be great, sure, I guess. I’d love it, but it’s not on my mind. I’m in no rush to do anything,” he said in the magazine. “I’m kind of a boring character in that book. I’m not in a fight with Jay or Conan, or any of them. I don’t have that story.”

FALLON DA GAWD

I'm not surprised that this is happening, but it's crazy that it's happening THIS SOON.

Leno won't survive this one. He's gone. You can tell he's pissed since he took shots at NBC (calling them "snakes") before this news even broke - like he didn't even respect them enough to wait for a press release or attempt to make this seem cordial. This could get ugly.

Prez

no one curr?
S C
Cubs Fan Since 8/20/16

feel bad for conan tbh

leno ****ed him over just to stay on tv for only 2 more years.  that ****ass
Misfit

conan>both tho
Sky
TV & Film: 1310

Bittersweet. That's Conan's spot.

I'm happy that Fallon has stepped up tho.
Barry.
A new jawn everyday

Letterman's the gawd but he seems very out of touch with the younger generation. Kimmel is gonna be the king of late night pretty soon. Fallon always has the freshest musical performers, especially since The Roots are the house band.
Funky Kong

#teamcoco
Osey 🏳️‍🌈

Fallon :golfclap:

hope he succeeds in that spot as he does in his current role.

he definitely had one of, if not, the best late night shows.
Young D

:we:

Craig and Conan are the GOATs :work:
NastyNeighbor

Fallon is one of the most unfunny people ever.
CharlesToThe

You dont like people that laugh at theirjokes
NastyNeighbor

huh?
Manic

The Roots deserve a big raise. 
DecembersVeryOwn
cj1214

:we:

Craig and Conan are the GOATs :work:

absolutely 0 people watch Craig Ferguson
Prez

His career would say otherwise
NastyNeighbor

His career would say otherwise

Popularity doesn't mean you're good, want another example? Look at the guy in your avatar.
mattandr3ws

Fallon may not be the funniest dude but he seems so genuine and is a nice guy who his guests seem to enjoy being around which makes him a great host if you ask me.

**** Leno either way.
Denzel Washington
Nos partimos la madre

this
Leno does that as well
Fallon is just awkward

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 ... 22

Quick Reply
Login with Facebook