The Rules of the Game
Toni
The Southerner
La chienne
Fantomas
Holy Motors
Vagabond

john cassavetes
remember: pork in medina never play fair. do the knowledge. it ain't worth the headache yungin

the terrorizers. 9.5/10 first watch

i didnt know this was on amazon prime :damn: finna cop a physical soon. yang just ****in blows me away man. the film world lost such a intregal part when this man died. he's like the dilla of film

need to watch that day, on the beach next. how was this man so ****in good? its as if he was a director all his life. but he started relatively old.
beflygelt
'i don't give a fick' - Yasiin

damn that's shady, **** Hollywood :sadblu:
not Holly-prod, twas indie
beflygelt
'i don't give a fick' - Yasiin

Holy Motors
yeah Carax another goat-tier director, would recommend to go with his early classics Mauvais Sang and Pont-Neuf first tho, even if Holy Motors is so different from literally anything including Carax own filmog that I guess you can watch it on its own too.
HelloMari
I'm back baby, Cudder

Watched it for the second time, still 10/10

:whew:
DannyW

:mm:

and yeah if you want more French stuff and you're going for crime and crime adjacent then Melville is the obvious choice. Samourai is probably his most famous. I guess the obvious move would also be to check out Godard and Truffaut, as they're arguably the most famous French directors and their usual starting points Breathless and The 400 Blows are also about come. And if you got that checked out you can focus on the other French giants.

And if you wann get off the crime train go for Hiroshima Mon Amour  :hhh:
Thanks, will check them out. Definitely looking for a bit of variety too, so will be watching Hiroshima Mon Amour sometime soon. It's just that I'm a sucker for a good heist/prison break movie so Rififi/Le Trou were logical starting points and La Haine had been on my watchlist for way too long.
Soup. 💙
my Uncle Hugh

not Holly-prod, twas indie

:oh: makes sense
Didier
Norman Fucking Rockwell

I Saw The Devil :psyboom:
RASIE

Anyone know any good French films?

Check your PMs. Just sent a good sized list of essentials and personal faves for each decade :h5:
Mo

Thanks, will check them out. Definitely looking for a bit of variety too, so will be watching Hiroshima Mon Amour sometime soon. It's just that I'm a sucker for a good heist/prison break movie so Rififi/Le Trou were logical starting points and La Haine had been on my watchlist for way too long.

Those types of films can be great entry points into films from different countries. Can't forget that the films are about a culture and made in a culture that might differ from your own. So when the cultural markers are different a fairly straight forward known trope like heist and prison break can be good to start it off.

Hiroshima Mon Amour is  <3
1995stillalive

RASIE link=topic=37.msg541891829#msg541891829 date=15712​62517
Check your PMs. Just sent a good sized list of essentials and personal faves for each decade :h5:
Alright thanks
CurlyZ

Satanís Cheerleaders (1977)
6/10

RASIE

FREE

Didier link=topic=37.msg541890505#msg541890505 date=157125​8733
I Saw The Devil :psyboom:
CLASSIC
FREE

I'm bout to peep Lord's of Salem
RASIE