Kanye To The: Kanye West

Claire Denis' 'High Life' (Robert Pattinson, Juliette Binoche) | A24

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14

dorian_j
In such a horror mood

Claire Denis is actually a director whose films I never had a chance to explore.  Any recommendations on films of hers to check out after seeing High Life?

https://filmschoolrejects.com/beginners-guide-to-claire-denis/

D Wo

:leo: report back fam
:popcorn:
This was an... interesting film.  Definitely not a bad movie, but isn't the type of film you enjoy watching.  People who know what they're getting into before watching this film will probably like it...

Basically another Pattison leading indie classic that will be underrated and under appreciated upon the end of the year.

Those comments from Toronto are a little misleading imo.  The film isn't disturbing in a grotesque way (though there is some of that).  It's more disturbing on a emotional/philosophical level.  Without going into spoilers one of the reoccurring themes of the film is how the characters of the film are able to stay sane given their predicament.

I actually really enjoyed the moral quandaries of human existence the film explores, but at the same time I definitely think this is going to be really deceive among general audiences.

Binoche's character is a standout.  She's completely a freak in this film.  Otherwise it's the production work that stands out more than the actors.  The story/visuals/audio make this film special, not the actors... though it's really clear that this film was made on a shoe string budget.  For instance science regarding the motion of objects in space is completely ignored.  Basically this is a sci-fi movie that isn't focused on the "science" aspect of it's pedigree.  Gravity, Interstellar, 2001, Moon, etc this is not.

Claire Denis, Pattison and Andre "3000" Benjamin  (lamo, I didn't even know he was in the film) were there to introduce the film.  They all seemed really embarrassed and lost for words on what to say before the film started.  This made a lot more sense upon realizing how intimate the film could be at some points.  Had to run when it finished, so I missed the Q&A at the end, but I imagine they said more of the same that they said at TIFF.

So...  yeah... definitely see this film if your interested.  It's a good movie.  I'd just recommend to temper your expectations.
beflygelt
'i don't give a fick' - Yasiin

This was an... interesting film.  Definitely not a bad movie, but isn't the type of film you enjoy watching.
thats a bit pretentious to say, but that statement makes it sound like I'll enjoy it a lot tbh :hah: anyways I guess you shouldn't speak for everyone about what they enjoy lol, a potent atmosphere and thought-provoking content can definitely be entertaining af for me :)

Thanks a lot for your reaction. I guess you have a point with the expectations, and that you have to consider the (for sci-fi) probably shoe-string budget with no fancy sfx.

Actually from your comments I don't even wanna know any more going in (thx for keeping it vague and not spoiling), but I am really curious about the music tbh, cause no reviewer has talked about it. Claire Denis has been working with this p dope indie band Tindersticks for a while (this is the 8th or so of her films they or the band leader solo scored). They're more known for p loungey stuff, I wonder if they changed it up for the space theme or ignored it completely :khaled: (I'm guessing the latter)
D Wo

thats a bit pretentious to say, but that statement makes it sound like I'll enjoy it a lot tbh :hah: anyways I guess you shouldn't speak for everyone about what they enjoy lol, a potent atmosphere and thought-provoking content can definitely be entertaining af for me :)
Lol I definitely didn’t mean that comment to be a jab against the film, but rather a comment on its tone.  For instance I’d also discribe films like McQueen’s Hunger or Spielberg’s Schindler's List as being unenjoyable but great.

If I had to give High Life a score out of ten I’d give it the 7.5/8 range.  I really appreciate it for what it is, it just isn’t perfect.
Thanks a lot for your reaction. I guess you have a point with the expectations, and that you have to consider the (for sci-fi) probably shoe-string budget with no fancy sfx.

Actually from your comments I don't even wanna know any more going in (thx for keeping it vague and not spoiling), but I am really curious about the music tbh, cause no reviewer has talked about it. Claire Denis has been working with this p dope indie band Tindersticks for a while (this is the 8th or so of her films they or the band leader solo scored). They're more known for p loungey stuff, I wonder if they changed it up for the space theme or ignored it completely :khaled: (I'm guessing the latter)
I remember some music sticking out during a short “Tree of Life/2001/Interstellar” like abstract space scene (but nothing to that scale).  Otherwise the music was mostly understated.  No complaints regarding the music, but I just wasn’t focusing on it.
dorian_j
In such a horror mood

beflygelt

:khaled: :maybe:
dorian_j
In such a horror mood

This was an... interesting film.  Definitely not a bad movie, but isn't the type of film you enjoy watching.  People who know what they're getting into before watching this film will probably like it...

Basically another Pattison leading indie classic that will be underrated and under appreciated upon the end of the year.

Those comments from Toronto are a little misleading imo.  The film isn't disturbing in a grotesque way (though there is some of that).  It's more disturbing on a emotional/philosophical level.  Without going into spoilers one of the reoccurring themes of the film is how the characters of the film are able to stay sane given their predicament.

I actually really enjoyed the moral quandaries of human existence the film explores, but at the same time I definitely think this is going to be really deceive among general audiences.

Binoche's character is a standout.  She's completely a freak in this film.  Otherwise it's the production work that stands out more than the actors.  The story/visuals/audio make this film special, not the actors... though it's really clear that this film was made on a shoe string budget.  For instance science regarding the motion of objects in space is completely ignored.  Basically this is a sci-fi movie that isn't focused on the "science" aspect of it's pedigree.  Gravity, Interstellar, 2001, Moon, etc this is not.

Claire Denis, Pattison and Andre "3000" Benjamin  (lamo, I didn't even know he was in the film) were there to introduce the film.  They all seemed really embarrassed and lost for words on what to say before the film started.  This made a lot more sense upon realizing how intimate the film could be at some points.  Had to run when it finished, so I missed the Q&A at the end, but I imagine they said more of the same that they said at TIFF.

So...  yeah... definitely see this film if your interested.  It's a good movie.  I'd just recommend to temper your expectations.

Interesting take :khaled: Still hyped af.
dorian_j
In such a horror mood

beflygelt

wow this is barely watchable, you can see how they're so tired of just giving the same answers again and again
dorian_j
In such a horror mood

wow this is barely watchable, you can see how they're so tired of just giving the same answers again and again

Can't blame them tbh.
beflygelt

Can't blame them tbh.
they should just record these interviews once and then get on with life tbch, this whole pretension of it being a "live event" is so bittersweet when it's all the same anyway
Catalyst

hype

beflygelt

:ffpu:
beflygelt

Btw cast also includes a really good German actor Lars Eidinger, I thought he was outstanding in Everyone Else by Maren Ade (Toni Erdmann), and he was in some recent Assayas flicks I haven't seen yet
dorian_j
In such a horror mood

Misfit

I need it
Catalyst

holy

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14

Quick Reply
Login with Facebook