She was raised to be a star by her parents and didn't have to struggle at all

Diddy
Future Amadeus Mozart

Kendrick Lamar is an industry plant
he was signed on Def Jam in 2005
Then he's pushed as an underground rookie in 2011
user
user was banned for this post

I consider an industry plant someone who is signed by a label and then an artificial bandwagon is created, a la Trinidad James. Or even Meek Mill to a certain extent, because while he was popular, he was not THE Meek Mill until Ross got behind him.

IMO an industry plant is someone who is signed before they start dropping mixtapes.

Ever since Drake (who's come up was legit) and even A$AP Rocky to an extent, artists have been chasing that viral snowball fan effect.

You sign someone > Create their persona through vlogs of them in the studio > Take their best song and record a viral vid that creates their image (think ASAP's Peso. Represents everything the mob is in a nutshell.)  > Release a tape > and fans will be clamoring for you to get signed

It's the new version of the fake thug rags to riches stories they used to have rappers go around telling.

However, you have to be in a certain position for the label to even "plant" you. I'd much rather have a quick come-up like Trinidad or Rocky than be like Big KRIT and give away my best work for free and then have ****ty albums.
lg

Drake a industry plant.
haha wot
Mitta
Rap game fucked up, boy

I consider an industry plant someone who is signed by a label and then an artificial bandwagon is created, a la Trinidad James. Or even Meek Mill to a certain extent, because while he was popular, he was not THE Meek Mill until Ross got behind him.

IMO an industry plant is someone who is signed before they start dropping mixtapes.

Ever since Drake (who's come up was legit) and even A$AP Rocky to an extent, artists have been chasing that viral snowball fan effect.

You sign someone > Create their persona through vlogs of them in the studio > Take their best song and record a viral vid that creates their image (think ASAP's Peso. Represents everything the mob is in a nutshell.)  > Release a tape > and fans will be clamoring for you to get signed

It's the new version of the fake thug rags to riches stories they used to have rappers go around telling.

However, you have to be in a certain position for the label to even "plant" you. I'd much rather have a quick come-up like Trinidad or Rocky than be like Big KRIT and give away my best work for free and then have ****ty albums.
Trinidad isnt a plant. Its ignorant ****. People think its funny. They **** with it. He been popping in atlanta for a minute.

Then bigger names in the game catch on to him and the fire is lit. Wanna know what a industry plant is? Justin Bieber, Willow Smith etc

Trinidad James has 1 hit, and I personally think hes a 1 hit wonder. Hes not gonna be able to do that again.
Surreal
Too weird to live, but too rare to die.

Drake a industry plant.

Kanye started on his own
lmfao
Rodri
turn me up some

agree with this except for saying krit album was ****ty

as the internet age grows, that means more people are going to prolly be signed without a mixtape. or even just more people doing the independent thing and being successful , which is already an occuring theme of some rappers. soon we won't need record labels

.bump cuz i like this discussion.
DevanteFlacko

I dont think Record labels are going anywhere anytime soon. Look what SONY/RCA did with ASAP rocky. They made the kid a star in one year off one mixtape. The bul has been on tours since the top of 2012 off ONE mixtape he released 2 months prior. Having all the money, the wild nights, the fame, the girls etc. All because he signed with the right people. No way in hell he would of been able to pull that off if he was indie. He would of been SpiceGirlPurrp status  :he:. You telling me the average joe-schmo rapper wont give up his right titty for that type of come up.

With this internet age its coming up is SUPER quick. Look at Travis Scott for instance. Home boy already has stans and he aint even drop his 1st official solo mixtape yet  :smug:
discman23

what about pitchfork plants? they grow pretty fast. justin vernon i see you. bradford cox i see you. sufjan stevens i see you ninja
WakeUpMr.West
Don't quote me unless you agree with me

what about pitchfork plants? they grow pretty fast. justin vernon i see you. bradford cox i see you. sufjan stevens i see you ninja
justin vernon worked with kanye. and nobody know the other artists.
Blue Hefner

ok so let me get it straight a industry plant is someone who is basically already "signed" to a record label but they let them get attention as a "unsigned" artist like rocky with purple swag and peso and then once they see the artist is getting attention they officially sign them?
i dont really believe rocky is a industry plant but thats just an example
Blue Hefner

can't be mad at labels for having to plant artists they don't know whether to put all their money into someone who could possibly flop. think about all the plants who just never caught on
WakeUpMr.West
Don't quote me unless you agree with me

ok so let me get it straight a industry plant is someone who is basically already "signed" to a record label but they let them get attention as a "unsigned" artist like rocky with purple swag and peso and then once they see the artist is getting attention they officially sign them?
i dont really believe rocky is a industry plant but thats just an example
yeah, they experiment with them first and see if they're worthy of spending money on and once they see them getting a respectable fan base they sign them and go all out promoting them.
Blue Hefner

Trinidad isnt a plant. Its ignorant ****. People think its funny. They **** with it. He been popping in atlanta for a minute.

Then bigger names in the game catch on to him and the fire is lit. Wanna know what a industry plant is? Justin Bieber, Willow Smith+ etc

Trinidad James has 1 hit, and I personally think hes a 1 hit wonder. Hes not gonna be able to do that again.
she was basically born into stardom, come on
Blue Hefner

yeah, they experiment with them first and see if they're worthy of spending money on and once they see them getting a respectable fan base they sign them and go all out promoting them.
it's kinda like cheating but i respect them, you could basically call it scouting to an extent
Blue Hefner

Kendrick Lamar is an industry plant
he was signed on Def Jam in 2005
Then he's pushed as an underground rookie in 2011

lol come on diddy
YoungMoney
Deleted

frenchie
Blue Hefner

Isn't it odd how certain artists take years to build a following while some others seem to do so overnight? 

New Artists I believe have legit followings from building organically on the internet:
Big Krit
Curren$y
Lil B
Kreayshawn (maybe?)
Soulja Boy (to an extent)

Are there any artists you guys can think of that actually started on their own?  And who do you think are industry plants?

brief description of "industry plant":
An industry plant is an artist who has Major/Indie Label backing but presents themselves as a "home grown start up" label to create a pseudo organic following.  They act as if things are miraculously happening for them based on just having hot music (i.e. blog coverage, media coverage, mtv playing their vids, etc.) when in reality its a low risk/high reward situation for labels looking to build the next "new star"
good thread op

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19

Quick Reply
Login with Facebook