-

Grandma Ye

Drake a industry plant.

Kanye started on his own

What do you mean by Industry Plant?
Rodri
turn me up some

if you think about it,

every MAINSTREAM artist THAT SIGNED TO A MAJOR LABEL is an industry plant. EVERY one.

they are used to make money, that's what an industry plant is

so underground musicians aren't industry plants, mainstream ones are

but being the term you have, some people are obviously planted and didn't work hard, ex. trinidad james, katy perry
Raps
Godston Matthews

Drake a industry plant.

Lol no, far from one
PearlZ
dead or alive

What do you mean by Industry Plant?

updated the OP with a description
WakeUpMr.West
Don't quote me unless you agree with me

Isn't it odd how certain artists take years to build a following while some others seem to do so overnight? 

New Artists I believe have legit followings from building organically on the internet:
Big Krit
Curren$y
Lil B
Kreayshawn (maybe?)
Soulja Boy (to an extent)

Are there any artists you guys can think of that actually started on their own?  And who do you think are industry plants?

brief description of "industry plant":
An industry plant is an artist who has Major/Indie Label backing but presents themselves as a "home grown start up" label to create a pseudo organic following.  They act as if things are miraculously happening for them based on just having hot music (i.e. blog coverage, media coverage, mtv playing their vids, etc.) when in reality its a low risk/high reward situation for labels looking to build the next "new star"
dead
Shakeem Muhammed
God was born in Brooklyn

Maybe Trinidad James, Stalley, or Meek Mill ?
DREAMS

big krit is a man of god

he doesn't worship the devil like rihanna, drake & kendrick lamar
PearlZ
dead or alive

Push link=topic=333600.msg15577474#msg15577474 date=1353425​893
Lol no, far from one

Kinda depends on when people discovered him.  Most people discovered Drake when he released SFG.  He wasn't pretending to be completely indie but he obviously had a lot of industry connects by then (Wayne, Lloyd, Bun B).  I wouldn't say he's an "industry plant" either though...
K
fuck witchya boy

Anyone that puts out a mix tape that is so high quality would be near impossible for someone unsigned to complete

Drake, asap etc
Raps
Godston Matthews

Kinda depends on when people discovered him.  Most people discovered Drake when he released SFG.  He wasn't pretending to be completely indie but he obviously had a lot of industry connects by then (Wayne, Lloyd, Bun B).  I wouldn't say he's an "industry plant" either though...
He was on the Toronto rap scene long before he had connections with Wayne. First major artist he worked with was trey songz, who at the time wasn't that big, and even that was 3 years into his career as a rapper
UltraKid
Deleted

Most rappers had industry connects
Deep Purple
Deleted

A$AP Rocky
WakeUpMr.West
Don't quote me unless you agree with me

outside of rap, I remember reading an article about Lana Del Rey (aka Lizzy Grant).  It was from a guy who worked with her as "Lizzy" and how he thought she was pretty cool but didnt know that she'd been signed.  He stated that the style she uses now was for the most part her idea though and that she actually had done traditional pop music before though.  I'll try to find the article
lana del rey is a label's creation.
Scarves

Drake isn't really an industry plant. However, he had connections even before he started "rapping".
Scarves

outside of rap, I remember reading an article about Lana Del Rey (aka Lizzy Grant).  It was from a guy who worked with her as "Lizzy" and how he thought she was pretty cool but didnt know that she'd been signed.  He stated that the style she uses now was for the most part her idea though and that she actually had done traditional pop music before though.  I'll try to find the article
Lizzy Grant is real, Lana Del Rey is a label creation.

Same goes for Lady Gaga.
GLockInMySock
Long Live Chinx

Maybe Trinidad James, Stalley, or Meek Mill ?

Meek Mill and Stalley aren't

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 ... 19

Quick Reply
Login with Facebook