Kanye To The: Kanye West

The Films of Sergio Leone

Pages:1 2

TheCC

Began working as an Italian cinematographer, film assistant, screenwriter, and assistant director, Leone's first picture that he worked on as a film director was 'The Last Days of Pompeii'. After the original director, Mario Bonnard, fell ill during the beginning of production, Leone stepped in and shot essentially the entire film. He followed that with another sword-and-sandal film, 'The Colossus of Rhodes'.

The Last Days of Pompeii (1959) (Co-Director with Mario Bonnard, Co-Written with Sergio Corbucci)

The Colossus of Rhodes (1961)

After Leone's two sword-and-sandal films were released, that genre starting to become less-and-less popular with audiences. A fan of American Westerns and Kurosawa's 'Yojimbo', Leone embarked on a new genre/chapter which became known as The Dollars Trilogy.

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

For a Few Dollars More (1965)

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)

After the huge success of the trilogy, Leone remained in the genre for almost the remainder of his career. Following the trilogy with 'Once Upon a Time in the West' and then 'Duck, You Sucker' (or 'A Fistful of Dynamite').

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

Duck, You Sucker (1971)

Leone would take a break after these films, and the presumed "failure" of 'Duck, You Sucker'. He co-directed two films in the 70s, one with Tonino Valerii ('My Name is Nobody') and the second with Damiano Damiani ('A Genius, Two Friends, and an Idiot'). After these films, Leone began working on his final film 'Once Upon a Time in America'. Excluding his two early sword-and-sandal films, this was Leone's only venture outside of the Western (or Spaghetti-Western) genre. Possibly his magnum opus, this is a defining film in the gangster/crime genre that features two great performances from Robert De Niro and James Woods.

Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

After the "failure" of 'Once Upon a Time in America' (he had a three-and-a-half hour film cut down to two-and-a-half hours by the studio and the picture underperformed at the box-office), Leone was too upset to direct another film. Five years later he died at age 60 from a heart attack. He is personally one of my favorite filmmakers, but I want everyone's opinion on him and his films.

What are your thoughts on Sergio Leone?

TheLostBoy

Once a Upon Time in the West is like one of coolest films ever made. I loved every shot in that film.
August4th

the good, the bad and the ugly is in my top 10.
larry hov

Once upon america A1, right up there wit the two goddads
August4th

Once a Upon Time in the West is like one of coolest films ever made. I loved every shot in that film.
x2 and these songs >>>>

Mobs and Gods

One of my all time favorite filmmakers, a true master. :allears:

Mishima

kinda lost respect for him when i found out he jacked Kurosawa's swag.
Il Cinefilo

GOAT, along with Corbucci.
Henry Krinkle

What are your thoughts on Sergio Leone?
once upon a time in america is amazing
would love criterion to release the 3-1/2 hour version on bluray
Henry Krinkle

would have loved for him to make more films
taker328
burial

Once Upon a Time in the West is one of the most beautifully shot films with a kick ass score from Morricone. And those last 15 minutes of the film were epic.
CurlyZ

Once Upon A Time in the West is unbelievably good.
Variable Change
If you didn't Black Out you did it wrong.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly >>>> 

Leone in general is awesome
dorian_j
In such a horror mood

My father loved his movies.
Vahn

dorian_j link=topic=1319489.msg73083545#msg73083545 date=14001415​98
My father loved his movies.
powerful
fudge
I hate everything