Kanye To The: Kanye West

"Why is saying Black Power OK, but White Power not?"

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 6

kristopher
banned for my cuz using my account, if you want ricky updates get me unbanned

I always see this getting brought up, especially around Black History Month.

I'm White, from a middle class background, and American.

My understanding of why it is seen as more OK to say Black Power is this:
From what I've seen, many (but not all) of the Black people who fight for Black Power are from poorer backgrounds. Now, it is just a fact that many of these people will be from nearly all Black neighborhoods. That's just how it is. The poor are a very disenfranchised group as a whole, they have very little voice in our society. Not just Black people, but the lower class in general. And even for the Black people not from poorer backgrounds, I don't think it is very debatable that, in general, they are less empowered than Whites.

My interpretation of Black Power is not that it is to give Blacks power over Whites, but merely to give Blacks an actual say in the nation. IMO, they are saying "Black Power" because their race is a common denominator. I have never seen it as racist on their behalf. When Tupac said it in his songs, I always interpreted it as him fighting for equal rights. It isn't "Black Power over Whites" it is "Black Power along with White Power".

This is why it isn't acceptable to say White Power. White people, in general, have by far the most power in this country. We already have the "power". So demanding more essentially requires the oppression of minorities.

Anyone else feel similar? I don't want anything I said to be misinterpreted. I'm not saying Black people are poor or White people are better or anything. I just feel like the argument "Why can't I say White Power?" to be stupid and childish.

blood on the leaves
nah

both are stupid
K.I.L.L.A.

Yeezy Power  :stronger:
NCinnit

relating your question to the social status quo -

the phrase white power was popularized by and most closely associated to white supremacists. society generally shuns white supremacists therefore using a popular white supremacist phrase will more than likely be frowned upon, regardless of your intent.

the phrase black power is socially more acceptable for an array of reasons that usually trace back to white guilt.
3 Chainz

Gay Power :ghey:
GLoCkWuRk
Alpha & Omega

GIRL POWER >>>>>>>
Jordan Hare
I do not support the war on drugs

the phrase white power was popularized by and most closely associated to white supremacists. society generally shuns white supremacists therefore using a popular white supremacist phrase will more than likely be frowned upon, regardless of your intent.

the phrase black power is socially more acceptable for an array of reasons that usually trace back to white guilt.

There ya go Op. best answer
CornyPunchlines

Power Puff Girls
Swag
I'm just Robbin' like Baskins

No one man should have all that power
LissyPoop

Gay Power :ghey:
kristopher

the phrase white power was popularized by and most closely associated to white supremacists. society dislikes white supremacists therefore using a popular white supremacist phrase will more than likely be frowned upon, regardless of your intent.

Ya I know White Power was/is racist, but you know what I'm saying. Even if it was never used by KKK or whatever, it still wouldn't be acceptable.

I don't have "White guilt" either. I didn't have anything to do with racism, and most of my relatives came to America in the late 1800s/early 1900s. I just can understand the Black Power movement, To me, it is more socioeconomic than racial, and just uses Race as a unifying factor since most of the members are from the same backgrounds.
3rD

Hiii Power

Raps
Previousl known as Leafs

No one man should have all that power
NCinnit

Ya I know White Power was/is racist, but you know what I'm saying. Even if it was never used by KKK or whatever, it still wouldn't be acceptable.

I don't have "White guilt" either. I didn't have anything to do with racism, and most of my relatives came to America in the late 1800s/early 1900s. I just can understand the Black Power movement, To me, it is more socioeconomic than racial, and just uses Race as a unifying factor since most of the members are from the same backgrounds.

my response wasn't a right/wrong answer, just a description of american society's perspective. in an ideal situation anything could be said without repercussion.
kristopher

my response wasn't a right/wrong answer, just a description of american society's perspective. in an ideal situation anything could be said without repercussion.
Ya I feel you.
c500
Get well soon RG3

:golfclap:
ayekay1
Moet drinking, marijuana smoking street dweller

Cause white people enslaved the blacks for numerous years? Black power isn't necessarily alright but white power is just like... not cool bro
Msouten
Oh? Am I late?

lol what a stupid ****ing question

Pages:1 2 3 4 5 6

Quick Reply
Login with Facebook