Kanye To The: Kanye West

Making a persuasive speech about why rap/hip hop isn't negative. Help!

Pages:1 2

Kavvs

Gonna do a 5 minute persuasive speech about it for my communications class

My ideas so far:
-Give listening examples of positive lyrics
-Tell class about how many rappers donate to charity and have special foundations. They're involved in communities
-What rappers do outside of the studio has nothing to do with the music they make. Ex. Kanye's actions during some award shows were wrong, but his music isn't negative

Any ideas would be great. I don't just wanna get a grade for this. I actually hope some people at least give rap and hip hop a chance after my speech.

I wanna open up the speech by playing parts of different songs with VERY obvious positive lyrics. Nothing too "deep" that the audience has to think of. The first song that came to mind was "I Can" by Nas. I'd like a few more songs. Please give specific lyrics to specific songs so I know what to use

DeVo
heard she fucked the door man. well that's cool, I fucked the waitress

You could play GRIND by Asher Roth. Thats a very positive song. Especially his little speech at the end.
Kavvs

You could play GRIND by Asher Roth. Thats a very positive song. Especially his little speech at the end.

Can you think of any that are slower? Remember, this speech is going to be given to mostly non-hip hop listeners so I need songs that are really easy to understand with a positive message like "I Can" by Nas. It's a pretty corny song, but for the purpose of this presentation it's perfect.

If anyone can think of any points I should make during my speech about why this genre isn't negative please share.

One other thing I found was that J. Cole graduated Magna Cum Laude at St. Peter's so that shows that rappers are also educated.

Any little detail or idea you guys can think of to help me with this speech would be great.
Kavvs

When is it due? I'm working on something similar and I'd love to help, but I need a little bit of time.

Tonight lol. I have a night class that I have to present this to. I already started a couple days ago, but it feels "empty" so I want some more stuff

My plan as of now:

While everyone else opens up their speeches with one of these "Hi my name is blah blah and I'll be talking about blah blah" I wanna be different. I'm not even gonna introduce myself. I'm gonna open it up by playing a 1 minute clip of various positive lines from songs. I'm basically gonna cut bits and pieces of songs and put them all together so the audience can see that not all hip hop songs are negative.

Then I'll proceed to tell them about how J. Cole graduated Magna Cum Laude, how Kanye has the Kanye West Foundation to help students, how hip hop artists donate to charity, etc.

Then I'm gonna bring up why positive hip hop songs aren't known. I'm gonna bring up a slide on powerpoint showing the top hip hop songs for the past 5 years and show that the voters WANTED those songs. People WANT the negative stuff, and then complain about it later which leads to positive rap not being popular.

Any other ideas would be awesome
Kavvs

I should quote you in it lol

G.O.O.D ****

You brought up a good point that I didn't think of. As a whole I'd like to keep my speech simple merely for the fact that most of these people won't be interested in analyzing lyrics, but it would be great to throw some in just to show that rappers are intelligent as well.
Dutch Fool

You need persuasion for this? I say post up the facts and don't take care for the people who don't understand - post lyrics from the best examples you can get lyrically. Common for instance. You can play the songs while giving them text too, so it's easier to follow.

Like Blu - Dancing In The Rain, Blackalicious - Deception, etc.
Kay-Z

Just play te college dropout
sadesco

Do one on food & liquor. Explain the irony of the title. And the messages in he say, she say, the instrumental, and hurt me soul.

I had to do a similar essay last semester and did it on Illmatic. Explained how the album talked about growing up in the hood instead of talking about ****es and money, like most of the albums did in early 90s. I said how diff it was than the others albums of that time.
Dutch Fool

The topics are not different at all

Disagree for the most part, though it depends on who you compare it to.
sadesco

I compared it mainly to doggystyle, though I did it indirectly in the essay
Vietbrah
http://www.last.fm/user/vi3tboi

I never understood the hate for 'I Can'. Great song IMO.
Dutch Fool

What is addressed in "Illmatic" that is much different from other albums? Maybe "One Love" is a different technique, but songs like "NY State of Mind","Halftime", "One Time 4 Your Mind", "It ain't hard to tell" and "Represent" are just classic hip hop braggadocio rhymes .

By and large, it's the level of  poetic lyricism that separates Illmatic , not really the content.

You might be right, on second thought, but I don't think it's only the level of poetic lyricism though. The content of his rhymes usually insinuate more than gangster stories about popping guns; he usually shows a somewhat deeper understanding of the situation he's in. Compared to early Mobb Deep, for instance.
basedeanor

Gonna do a 5 minute persuasive speech about it for my communications class

My ideas so far:
-Give listening examples of positive lyrics
-Tell class about how many rappers donate to charity and have special foundations. They're involved in communities
-What rappers do outside of the studio has nothing to do with the music they make. Ex. Kanye's actions during some award shows were wrong, but his music isn't negative

Any ideas would be great. I don't just wanna get a grade for this. I actually hope some people at least give rap and hip hop a chance after my speech.

I wanna open up the speech by playing parts of different songs with VERY obvious positive lyrics. Nothing too "deep" that the audience has to think of. The first song that came to mind was "I Can" by Nas. I'd like a few more songs. Please give specific lyrics to specific songs so I know what to use

How did this turn out op? I'm doing something similar. I found this post through google and you were the first result :h5:
Woodpecker
-------<|-_-|>------

anything by waka flocka and gucci
Usain

How did this turn out op? I'm doing something similar. I found this post through google and you were the first result :h5:
Last active 2 years ago :hah:
Pimp Ricky
Free meek mill , s/o to mmg

Play chief keef , its all positive
basedeanor

Last active 2 years ago :hah:

On mobile :facepalm:
Bob Tha Trillder
Positive Poster

:lol: and j.cole graduated from st.johns not st.peters :work:

Pages:1 2

Quick Reply